Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Birds

Anyone who knows me knows that I love birds...bluebirds and cardinals especially.  My grandmother did too.  My house and antique booth are full of bird photos, figurines, bird cages, etc. 

My grandmother was a quilter.  She had a really large square loom hanging from hooks on the ceiling in one of her bedrooms.  She would lower the loom to table height and quilt by hand for hours.  When I was there visiting, I got to help her.  She didn't care if my stitches weren't perfect.  She never critiqued (and never complained about anything, for that matter).  One of my favorite quilts of hers was a quilt where every other square contained a hand-embroidered bird.  She made that quilt the year I was born.  My Mom had the quilt for many years and I always loved it. 

A couple of years ago my Mom told me that she wanted me to have the quilt!  I couldn't believe it!  I was so happy, I cried.  I'm so afraid of messing it up that I have it stored in a box all safe and sound between two other blankets.  I have cats and a dog and I would be sick if one of them scratched on it or threw up a hairball. 

I've decided to pull it out today to show you how beautiful it is.  She was so talented.  As I am trying to take pictures, one of my cats is batting at the birds!

Love, Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment